About Me

My photo
My name is Aymen and I'm 36 years old California girl, who recently graduated from SDSU. I've been dating Ernest (aka EJ) since April 2002 and we've been ttc (trying to conceive) on and off since 2004. He got out of the Army in late 2005 after serving four years, one of those years being spent in Iraq as a Combat Medic. (Support our troops!) EJ and I live with our 9 year old niece Leilani (aka Leila), our black lab Mason and our chihuahua pups with an attitude, Chase and Luna. We live in beautiful San Diego, love the beach, road trips, Disneyland, BBQs and are looking forward to whatever the future may hold.

Click on blinky to direct you to SoulCysters!

pcos awareness

Click on blinky to direct you to Cysterworld!

Welcome Friends And Family

Thursday, February 24, 2011

Back on the saddle... again.


As of lately, I’ve realized that I break my low-carbing eating habits when I am not near my house. As hard as I try to continue my diet, I find my will power is incredibly low if a Starbucks frappuccino or a McDonald’s smoothie is sitting right in front of me. Don’t get me wrong, if you’re exercising and eating healthy, those two things are fine to eat, but when you’re low carbing, they are the devil.

A few days ago, I had to drive my parents up two hours north so they could meet with their attorney. I was doing well with my low carbing (that I started up again a few days earlier), and was drinking a lot more water than you should while on a road trip. I brought a few little bags of celery and some jicama too, but upon arrival to our destination, I found myself STARVING. I swear, I went psycho and all I could think about was a nice hot Starbucks with one of their delicious pumpkin bread. That was the end of my low carbing streak. The carb crazy girl inside of me won.

Instead of continuing my low carbing once I got home, or even the next day for that matter, I decided that a big bowl of cereal sounded much better. The next day, fried donuts. The day after that, a tamarind flavored slushy. Note: The "Raspado de Tamarindo" is pictured to the right. Nom nom nom. (That actually sounds fantastic right now! lol) Whatever the food, it sounded BETTER than to low carb.

I’ve always said my boyfriend sabotages my diet by offering me anything he is eating, which is usually not very healthy and full of carbs. Unfortunately though, I am my own worst enemy when it comes down to it. I choose not to put the right foods in my mouth. Because of my insulin resistance and because of PCOS, low carbing quite honestly IS the “right foods.”

So this morning, the first thing I did after brushing my teeth was start planning out my meals for the day. I’m not so worried about tomorrow, but just today. “One day at a time,” I keep telling myself. For breakfast, it was a low carb shake. For lunch, it was faux mashed potatoes (made out of cauliflower. The recipe is linked to the picture down below somewhere.), jalapeno poppers (jalapeno peppers stuffed with cream cheese and wrapped with bacon) and two thin slices of turkey with gravy. I tried to scrape away most of the gravy though, because THAT’S where the carbs are. Also, I’ve drank about 34 oz of water so far, so I still need to keep that up.

It’s funny because I found some old pictures yesterday and I can’t believe the difference in the way I looked. I was about 140 pounds and looked AH-MAY-ZING! I could tell I was at a much happier place there with my body, just by the way I was dressed.

I’m not going to promise that I will keep on this low carb road forever, but most likely until I reach a place where I love my body once more. Then I’ll most likely just eat low fat again, which seems to maintain my weight. That’s always been my master plan, time and time again. But I’m not going to beat myself up today, just try to keep myself on that low carb saddle .

2 comments:

  1. How do the cauliflower faux mashed potatoes taste? I've read about them, but never tried them... doesn't help that my husband is obsessed with mashed potatoes and doesn't want a substitute anyway, lol. We don't make them often at all, but we do love us some mashed potatoes.

    ReplyDelete
  2. For the record, they do NOT taste like mashed potatoes! LOL If you squish them enough though, they have the consistency of mashed potatoes, which is what I really like about them. My boyfriend doesn't touch veggies very often, or cream cheese for that matter, but he loves this. It took me a few times before I liked it as much as he does. LOL You can definitely taste the cauliflower in it, but not as strongly because of the cream cheese, and cheese. I want to say it taste creamy, cheesy and a bit "tangy" (for lack of a better word) because of the cream cheese. There is no "sweetness" in this. The first time we made it, my boyfriend added TONS of cheese (more than the recipe asked for) and that was ALL I could taste. This time around, I added what the recipe asked for and it came out nicely. It's a good low carb side dish if you're use to eating something with mashed potatoes!

    ReplyDelete